First Home Owner Grant
The First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) scheme, a form of government assistance, was established by the Australian Federal Government to encourage and assist home ownership. The First Home Owners Grant is a one-off, tax-free $7,000 payment provided to people buying their first home in Australia.
1. You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident buying or building your first home in Australia.
2. The property you want to buy is a recognized house, unit or flat specifically designed for people to live in.
3. You or your spouse/partner have not received a grant in any State or Territory of Australia.
4. You or your spouse/partner have not owned residential property, either jointly, separately or with some other person prior to 1 July 2000, in any State or Territory of Australia.
5. You or your spouse/partner have not previously owned an interest in land in Australia that had a residence for at least 6 months on it prior to July 1, 2000.
6. You or your spouse/partner have not received a grant in any State or Territory of Australia.
7. You are a person (not a company) and at least 18 years of age at the time of settlement or completion of construction.
8. You must be able to occupy the home within 12 months of settlement or 12 month of building completion if it’s a newly built home.
Note: There are minimum periods of occupancy required by each state or territory.
9. You must be able to apply for the grant within 12 months of settlement or completion of a newly build home.
10. Understand joint applicants are restricted to a single application for a single property and only one payment of $7,000 is made.
Based on the above information if you believe you are eligible to apply for the first home owners grant, ensure to consult with legal representation beforehand to guarantee you are a candidate to apply.
How to Apply for the FHOG and Additional Grants
The First Home Owner Grant is distributed on behalf of the Federal Government by the state and territory governments. Each state in Australia may also offer additional grants for first home buyers.
For more information about the First Home Owners Grant or to obtain an application form take a look at the website of the revenue office in your state or territory.
NEXT: Applying for a Home Loan
3. Government Assistance
14. Moving Checklist