After all the work that comes with finding, buying and moving into your perfect new home, many forget that alongside your brand spankin’ new interiors comes your new exteriors too.
These days it is not uncommon to take a stroll down the street and see a solid percentage of homes with artificial turf, or ‘fake grass’ in their front yard. Artificial turf has come a long way in the past few years, with many brands offering products almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
Artificial turf is marketed as easy to care for and it ensures you have the perfect-looking lawn year-round. It is not hard to see why many people are turning to this as a low-maintenance, high-reward gardening solution. Purist gardeners however, will swear by a real turf and the benefits that come with it, and swear off the ‘fake it ‘till you make it’ embodiment that comes with its artificial counterpart.
So when the time comes for your own garden renovation, which is the best option for you? Let’s dive into the pros and cons of each to assist you in making an informed decision when the time comes.
- Real turf offers an indefinite lifespan – with the proper maintenance of course. The level of commitment may vary season to season, but if you give your lawn the proper love, it will love you in return!
- If required, a real lawn can very easily be removed and replaced.
- Even during full sun, real turf will remain cool underfoot, offering a safe play-space for your children and pets.
- Real grass allows other plant and animal life to thrive – if that is your kind of thing! For those with pets, it is also generally going to be more pet-friendly than an artificial alternative.
- Finally, real turf offers emotional value. It is an investment of your time and effort, and that sense of pride and accomplishment one has in their lawn simply cannot be recreated with an artificial alternative.
- Real grass will, of course, require more maintenance than an ‘install and leave’ artificial turf. Regular feeding, mowing and weeding will need to be factored into your household chores.
- Installing a sprinkler system to maintain your lawn can add up cost-wise too. Not to mention the maintenance of the system as well.
- Water requirements for real turf are obviously much larger than fake turf, leading to increased water bills.
- Forget the year-round lush green foliage artificial grass offers – if you neglect your lawn it will look bad. Just bad.
- Artificial lawns require far less maintenance than good ol’ standard grass. While it is still recommended you rinse your artificial turf occasionally, as well as give it the odd ‘brushing’ or ‘grooming’, you’ll spend far less time in the garden than with your real grass alternative.
- Ongoing costs associated with real turf are almost non-existent with artificial turf.
- Although not technically ‘indefinite’ like real grass, an artificial turf does have a significant lifespan between 8-25 years (depending on the quality of the product).
- Modern advances mean it is far easier to buy synthetic turf that looks more realistic than some of the products we have seen in the past. You may not even notice the difference!
- Year round – rain, shine, hurricane – your artificial lawn is going to look GOOD!
- Artificial turf can become hot underfoot, which can make it unsafe especially for children and pets.
- It also does not have the same natural feel of real grass – if you are outdoors you want to enjoy BEING outdoors!
- Depending on the product you chose, it may not look as nice as real grass. You will need to invest.
- Again depending on the product, the synthetic turf may not be biodegradable which adds increased waste to your household.